Another Vanagon Wiring Harness
I made another wiring harness for another 1983.5 (water-cooled) 1.9L (2.2 GoWesty rebuild) Westfalia van. You can see the first engine wiring harness I made here.
My friend’s van started right up, but still needs a new throttle body to smooth out the idle. We knew this before we started. The original wiring harness was in even worse shape than mine, with several sections of burned wire and wire casing. Anyway, here’s some pics of the new one I made. The pics were taken just before the harness was installed, and final connections made, so there are some unfinished ends. But you get the idea.
Update: as of December 2019 both these harnesses are working fine, and no regrets. Except I do regret driving through the flooded Necanicum River on Highway 101 last week because… I may have destroyed my ECU getting it wet. :*(
Update: as of December 2022, approaching 275,000 miles on my van body, my handmade harness is killing it. I drove well over 2000 miles without any hiccups whatsoever. My biggest concern seemed to be tire air loss, but I brought it to Les Schwab in Portland, Oregon for a check and they were impressed at how nice a 40 year old vehicle could look underneath. That’s funny considering there’s been two years now of hiatus on van projects. The time and money (a. lot.) I spent on this vehicle is now paying off. I now enjoy driving it instead of being scared of something going wrong!